Sunday, March 8, 2015

#VolvoOceanRace / Cartoons by Kiwi artist Mark O'Brien : "I follow yacht races for fun"

Kiwi artist Mark O'Brien has been drawing cartoons inspired by sailing ever since the Whitbread Round the World Race back in 1990...





Are you following this year's Volvo Ocean Race? There are some amazing little quirky details in the cartoons...
Yes, but I had some help with that! I have read all the blogs, looked at the pictures, done some research. There are always one or two things that stick out!

And I guess it must be helpful that this fleet is one of the most varied we've ever had... Sure, and the thing with an international event like this is that there is always the national character that comes out. A lot of the humour comes from that.


Do you think it's important to have a passion for a subject, before you can successfully cartoonise it?
Oh absolutely, yes. I follow yacht races for fun - whether I'm working on them or not, because I am really interested in it. I've got a real passion for it. I'm coming down to the Auckland Race Village next week, I live in Wellington now, but I'm coming for the last few days and the New Zealand Herald In-Port Race on March 14. They didn't have those when I did the Whitbread, so that'll be really interesting!




From : VOR